Wake Up!!

Reader Beware.... Long but important post!

Last week I had a wake-up call!! 
It was early morning for me 5:something a.m. and being a night person like I am.... wow, some start to the day!  Let me tell you... it wasn't fun, but even so... it made me think.

The story goes something like this....
Hubby leaves for work shortly before 6:00 a.m. to get to work.  He must have just stepped foot out the door when a loud blaring alarm went off.  Being asleep as I was, I startled and jumped to my feet to find the alarm in the dining room, just on the other side of the wall from my head!  going off.

We have two alarms in that room because it is the central room of the house, and because we have a woodstove in it.  After a moment I realized it was the carbon monoxide/gas detector going off.  We have one that states the level in that room and it showed at 70... what most go off at.  After a few moments the level decreased and it stopped screaming.

Because it went back down so quickly I decided to stay awake and keep an eye on it.  I checked the little guy and the dog, both were fine.  What to do?  What caused it?

It wasn't long until the little guy and I had to leave for his preschool and the alarm still showed zero.  No one with any signs/symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, so off to school we went.  I bought another detector while I was in town and set it up.  Hubby ended up borrowing one from my parents too to put in the basement by the water heater and furnace to check for any problems there.   All is well.  We have yet to figure out why the alarm sounded.  Thought maybe a backdraft from the woodstove but there was no smoke in the room.

After reading the manual, we learned that the alarm that I heard wasn't what was supposed to sound when it detected carbon monoxide or gas.  I wonder if for some reason the power was interuppted causing it to alarm (the unit plugs in)... I put a new backup battert in it just in case that was the culprit.


The early morning interruption of sleep reminded me of how easily something can happen to threaten your family's health or even their life. 

Something as simple as carbon monoxide & smoke detectors can prevent the unthinkable.  They are simply invaluable tools!


This time of the year is really a concern as people are turning on their heat sources... which often haven't been checked like they should.  The sorry thing is... sometimes the heating/cooling guys don't have the proper tools/training in carbon monoxide either.

I urge you to make sure your 
smoke & carbon monoxide detectors are in working order.


I like love that we have one with a digital reading so we can always look to see if it's monitored anything even without causing an alarm.  If you have gas appliances, you may consider the one that detects gas as well.

Whether you buy them in your local store, or online... get enough to protect your home and don't short yourself to save a few bucks.  They could save your life... or more importantly, your family's lives!
 Don't say you'll do it tomorrow either... it's too important!


With that all said... I did look at Amazon to see what their prices are.  I assume because of the time of year, they are having some sales.  Might be worth looking into if you need a few.

Amazon prices.... click links to see what kind of deals they have on specific types


Carbon Monoxide Detectors-some are combo units that detect carb.monoxide/gas or carb. monoxide/smoke.  If you need both in a room it might be cost effective to purchase one that combines two functions.

Smoke Detectors- there are different kinds... do your research.  Some info here under the "performance differences"


Gas Detectors- some are combo gas/carbon monoxide.  Especially important if you have gas appliances in your home, but might be important if you live close to natural gas lines.

While your at it... check your fire extinguishers too!  Hope you have some.... :)


I hope this post encourages you to take a look at your home's safety!  I want everyone to have a save and happy home, and if it meant my abrupt wake-up event to encourage someone to check their home's equipment... I don't mind a bit, in fact (even though I really don't like mornings- unless I'm on vacation) I'd do it again!

1 comment:

Noelle said...

Wow, what a Story!
We had ours go off once, too.
We have a slab (no basement) so our detector is in the kitchen near the furnace. The detector went off and we were on the phone to the oil company instantly! Luckily, ours was a faulty detector, similar to your problem.
WE also had family who lost their home to a fire started by a candle. It has made me that much more careful about things around the house.
Glad you are all ok.

Buy gift certificates for Alice through Swagbucks!
See my Swagbuck points & info below

My Current SwagBucks!

There was an error in this gadget